Sunday, June 5, 2011

It's Official . . .

Our new address is 5688 Telegraph Rd.  We are setting up shop in Telegraph Plaza.  The lease is signed, our deposit has been paid and shortly there will be a "coming soon" sign in our window!  So exciting!  Still no definite date for opening - that will come once all of our permits have been obtained and we see how fast, or slow, the work is completed.

In the meantime, I have been on a fondant kick.  Those of you who know me, know that I have sworn off fondant for years and have made almost all of my cakes exclusively with buttercream.  I only used fondant for an occasional embellishment.  Covering a whole cake in fondant was unheard of!!! 

Well, I've been watching a lot of "Fabulous Cakes" on TLC and felt the need to experiment.  I didn't want to use the bad tasting stuff that I have had experience with in the past, so my fondant is made of marshmallows and powdered sugar. I think it tastes like Circus Peanuts and it looks great! 


This was my first attempt at a fully covered fondant cake.  I loved this cake!  It was for a family that was relocating to Texas.  Their friends were throwing a going away party and wanted something special. 


This is my second attempt. A graduation/birthday cake.  The black "ribbon", roses and leaves were also made from fondant.  The top piece was made from gumpaste.


This cake was for a teacher luncheon.  It is all buttercream, except the flowers (gumpaste).  In pictures, all of the cakes are smooth and pretty, but I must say, the fondant cakes feel much sturdier when transporting and seemed to leave less mess behind, fewer dishes to wash!  I guess it is just personal preference! 

On that note, a couple new cupcake flavors came about in the last couple weeks.


"Hostess" - like Cupcakes
  Chocolate cake with a marshmallow creme filling, topped with chocolate ganache and a little swirl of creme.


Salted Caramel Cupcakes
White cake filled with soft caramel, topped with caramel buttercream, soft caramel and sea salt.


Cookies 'N' Cream Cupcake

White cake swirled with Oreos, topped with cookies 'n' cream buttercream and a mini Oreo

The salted caramel is my favorite, and Beth's, too!  We are thinking we will probably offer white or chocolate cake for this one.  The white is really good but a chocolate salted caramel cupcake might just be heaven! 

We are completely booked with special orders for June.  Sorry to those of you that I had to turn away, our weekends filled up fast!  If you know you will need sweets for your upcoming event, please place your order as soon as possible!  July, August and September are filling up fast.

Beth is gone on vacation this week and I will be on vacation August 6 - 14.  We will not be taking custom orders the week that I am gone but hope to have the shop opened by then so that you will still be able to walk-in and pick up treats.

More updates soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment